Happy World Art Day! World Art Day, a celebration to promote the development, diffusion and enjoyment of art, was proclaimed at the 40th session of UNESCO’s General Conference in 2019. We think this is a very important commemoration as we recognize how the arts give voice to people in all walks of life and they also bring healing, comfort, and joy to many, including those with serious illnesses. The date April 15th was selected as the birth anniversary of Leonardo da Vinci.
“Art nurtures creativity, innovation and cultural diversity for all peoples across the globe and plays an important role in sharing knowledge and encouraging curiosity and dialogue. These are qualities that art has always had, and will always have if we continue to support environments where artists and artistic freedom are promoted and protected. In this way, furthering the development of art also furthers our means to achieve a free and peaceful world.”
Indeed, art has been showing up in amazing ways throughout the global pandemic. For example, on 21 March, in Mexico City, a UNESCO Creative City, musicians and artists gave an online “Spring Night” concert which attracted no less than 1.5 million online spectators, spreading the success of the event across the country. The pandemic has affected the arts in numerous ways, from the closure of venues, museums, festivals, and exhibitions, to the exacerbation of inequalities in access to cultural activities as many opportunities were transferred to the virtual world.
The Importance of this Commemoration
World Art Day should be a colorful and joyful day! But it should also be one that is remembered throughout the day. Read on for further thoughts on this day and ideas on how to celebrate it at home.
Every Day Should be World Art Day
Whether you are a world-renowned artist or a professional in other walks of life not directly related to art, a little creativity can bring value to your life. Indeed, engaging in artistic activities every day can help your wellbeing, and even your work. One could easily argue that creativity is one of the most important traits for workers in the 21st century.
Even if you don’t engage in art directly, you probably benefit from artists.
Your favorite musicians, visual artists who create masterpieces and also artwork that bring beauty into our lives, actors who give us wonderful theatre performances and movies, poets, and so many more artists.
Could you imagine a life without art? Because I could not!
International, National, and Local Organizations Should Support the Arts
It is significant that UNESCO declared the World Art Day. It is also significant that it was declared in 2019, only two years ago! International organizations should continue to encourage the arts and promote them so that all have equal access to the arts.
National and local organizations should also have a plan of action to support the arts continuously, all throughout the year.
On a national level, for example, the National Endowment for the Arts supports exemplary arts projects in communities nationwide through grantmaking, initiatives, partnerships, and events. They give out $500 Million in direct grant-matching support for Arts Endowment projects each year.
Locally, Sam’s Fans is committed to support the arts by supporting music and art therapy for seriously ill children and their families. Music and art therapy lie at an interesting intersection of art and science and Sam’s Fans is proud to support this work.
How Can You Commemorate This Day?
Are you convinced that this is a special day to celebrate? If you want to support the arts on this World Art Day, then here are some ideas for you:
- Bring out the artist in you today! Think about your favorite artistic medium, whether that’s visual arts, music, poetry, etc. and make some art today! The creative process can benefit us all. So go ahead! Be an artist today! Here are some more concrete ways to do this:
- How about singing your favorite songs? And maybe somebody in your family plays music so you can create music together today?
- Do you have a piece of paper and a writing utensil? Then you can create some art today. Of course, you can also take out your crayons, oils, pastels, go wild! Send us some pictures of the artwork you are creating today.
- Support your artist friends. Perhaps you have friends who are musicians, visual artists, poets, actors, etc. Send them a message today or even better, support their work with your dollars! Purchase their album, a print of their art, etc. Here’s a very short list of some local artists you could support today:
- Make a one-time donation to an organization that supports the arts. Sam’s Fans is one of them in Ohio, but a quick Google search will help you find a few more. Sam’s Fans specifically supports music and art for seriously ill children and their families. There are other non-profits in Columbus and in your local community which support the arts in different ways. Let us know which organizations you find!
World Art Day is today but everyday should be art day! Art is many things, “a wound turned into light,” a voice that tells you to express yourself; it is “to be moved, to love, to hope, to tremble, to live.”
We hope that on this World Art Day, you can engage with art and support the artists in your communities. We would love to hear about the ways you are commemorating this day! Share your experiences on social media, tag us @samsfans15, and use the hashtag #worldartday.
Register to receive our weekly email with highlights from our music and art therapy blog: